Another Family Tragedy

This is going to be one of those years – I can just tell.

I received a call this morning that my brother-in-law Ed died this morning – two weeks after my dad. He had been battling lung cancer (never smoked, btw) for a few years, and he looked great when I saw him last – at my dad’s funeral – but the word from home is that he succumbed to a combo of pneumonia and congestive heart failure.

So another trip back to Rochester. Please pray for safe travels (whenever it is I head back, in the next few days).

But most of all, please pray for my sister Mary. To lose her husband and dad in such a short span of time – I cannot even imagine the grief. My heart aches and breaks for her – and their two children.

Sorry that the blog has turned into an obituary as of late – but what can you do? Death is as much a part of life as humor is, and while one is certainly more enjoyable than the other, one is inevitable while the other is optional. One leads to joy everlasting, while the other, not so much.

Thanks in advance for your prayers and condolences.

About Larry D

LarryD resides in Michigan with his wife and 2 sons. He's been blogging on Catholic topics since March 2008, providing orthodox commentary on heterodox hooliganism, with observations on the culture, trends, and the Church. His goal? Inject humor and fun into the New Evangelization, with the gentle reminder that everyone's taking themselves way too seriously.
This entry was posted in Enough Already, Family Stuff, Prayer request. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Another Family Tragedy

1. Adrienne says:

I’m so sorry, Larry. I’ll keep you, Mary, and your entire family in my prayers.

2. Prayers for you and yours LarryD.

3. Pat says:

A very rough year for your family. I’m so sorry. Yes, I will keep all your intentions in my prayers, especially for your sister and children.

4. bear says:

I am sorry for your and your family’s loss.

5. Sherry says:

Prayers for her and you, hold tight to your family, prayers. Prayers. Prayers. Prayers.

Hail Mary, full of grace
    The Lord is with Thee
    Blessed are you amongst women
    and blest the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God,
    pray for us sinners now
    and at the hour of death. Amen.

6. vivalamezzo says:

Their souls and your family are in my prayers. May they find rest in the Eternal Light.

7. Larry, I’m so sorry to hear this. Will keep your family in my prayers.

8. Stephanie says:

Praying for all of you. I am so, so sorry. : (

9. Terry Nelson says:

Larry, my sincere condolences and prayers. I hope this will not be sorrow upon sorrow for you this year. You are definitely in my daily prayers and I am praying for your brother in law.

10. thelarryd says:

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers, kind thoughts, and condolences.

11. Diane K says:

Larry – so sorry to read about this. Very tragic.

For your brother-in-law, the De Profundis, in English. This beautiful prayer is included in the extraordinary form funeral rite, where I first became familiar with it.

From the depths, I have cried out to you, O Lord;
    Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive
    to the voice of my supplication.
    If you, Lord, were to mark iniquities, who, O Lord, shall stand?
    For with you is forgiveness; and because of your law, I stood by you, Lord.
    My soul has stood by his word.
    My soul has hoped in the Lord.
    From the morning watch, even until night, let Israel hope in the Lord.
    For with the Lord there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
    And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

12. Praying, Larry. My sincerest condolences. How terrible.

Comments are closed.