Bishops: We Are Adopting Welborn Protocol On All Correspondence

(AoftheAP) In response to the Catholic blogosphere’s intense over-reaction to Bishop Olson’s (Diocese of Fort Worth) private letter to President Michael King of Fisher More College, in which the bishop reiterated that the Latin Mass offered at the college can no longer be offered, a group of bishops have decided to adopt what’s commonly referred to as “the Welborn protocol” on all private correspondence to individuals within their respective dioceses.

The Welborn protocol, attributed to long-time Catholic blogger Amy Welborn, states, in essence, that all “correspondence is blogable unless specifically indicated otherwise”.

“It’s sad we have to take this step,” one bishop told AoftheA News (who said that the conversation was indeed blogable), “but we’re realizing that bloggers are more apt to follow arbitrary internet etiquette and norms, rather than traditional standards of prudence, decorum, and civil behavior.”

Bishop Olson declined to be interviewed for this story, but a diocesan spokesman told AoftheA News that the bishop was on board with the new directive, stating “he makes this norm out of his pastoral solicitude and care for bloggers as well as for their own souls.”

About Larry D

LarryD resides in Michigan with his wife and 2 sons. He's been blogging on Catholic topics since March 2008, providing orthodox commentary on heterodox hooliganism, with observations on the culture, trends, and the Church. His goal? Inject humor and fun into the New Evangelization, with the gentle reminder that everyone's taking themselves way too seriously.
This entry was posted in All The World's A Blog And We Are Merely Posters, AoftheA News Desk, Bishops, Catholic Bloggers, Humor, Pokin' Hornet Nests With A Stick, Satire. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bishops: We Are Adopting Welborn Protocol On All Correspondence

1. Adrienne says:

😉

2. Terry Nelson says:

OVER REACTION?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU NUTS? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PULL HERE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT?

JK

3. You, sir, are a part of the Tyrrany of Tolerance which is sweeping the church. How dare you suggest that the Catholic blogosphere is over reacting to a private letter! For shame.

And I thought I knew you…..

4. Amy Welborn says:

Um.

• thelarryd says:

It’s not your average post, Amy. I’m not your average blogger.

You just kinda have to go with it.

• Amy Welborn says:

Well, yah. except my protocol or whatever, was geared in a positive direction. I was getting so much good input that I was asking people for advance permission to publish their interesting and enlightening stuff, not indict them. So I’m not enthused about the association. But whatever.

• thelarryd says:

I understand – my goal was not to turn your well-intentioned thing into something it isn’t. It seemed a good fit against the rush-to-publish over-reaction that happened in this particular case, and was only used for humorous satirical effect.

If you’re uncomfortable with what I’ve written, I will edit my post.

5. Just what I needed after a long day and a half of dealing with — there’s no other words for them — screaming ninnies.

6. Diane K says:

Glad to see you back, Larry!

7. Scott W. says:

Would somebody be kind enough to summarize this incident? What I have heard is that there are a number of factors and it can’t be chalked up to an anti-TLM motivation by the bishop. I say this as an avid TLM goer. Thanks.

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment